Employer: American Society of Plastic Surgeons (ASPS)
Position Location: Arlington Heights, Ill. (headquarters)
Title: Director of Communications
The American Society of Plastic Surgeons (ASPS) is seeking a highly motivated, seasoned communicator to head up a newly established division comprised of communications, marketing and public relations. The division's scope includes media and public relations; brand, product and program marketing; external print and digital advertising; internal and external communication; and public affairs campaigns.
The ideal candidate will have a minimum of 10 years experience working in a variety of sectors communicating to different constituencies, and be able to illustrate an ability to execute multimedia campaigns and integrated communication strategies. The candidate will also have excellent organizational abilities, as well as excellent written and verbal communication skills for the effective delivery of the Society's vision, mission and brand; must have an eye for detail, and is flexible enough to work in a fast-paced environment at an organization that is growing every day.
- Evaluate and establish best practices for media pitching and story placement.
- Support the executive vice president in the implementation of the directives of the Executive Committee and the Board.
- Oversee media relations, marketing and communication.
- Design and participate in the development of strategic communications and marketing business plans that advances the organization's mission.
- Identify challenges and emerging issues faced by the organization; develop proactive strategies to meet those challenges.
- Manage content for all digital properties.
- Manage promotion and execution of special events.
- Monitor progress towards plans and development; implement evaluation system to ensure annual goals and objectives are met.
- Provides strategic direction to shape and implement media relations, social media presence, website, publication and promotional activities to enhance the organization's image to an external audience.
- Evening conference calls and some travel required.
Education: Bachelor's degree in communications is required. Advanced degree in communications is desired.
Experience: Minimum ten years experience in a PR agency or corporate setting (professional medical society a plus), along with:
- Excellent interpersonal communciation skills
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite as well as social media and web tools required
- Experience with Aptify, AtTask and SharePoint desirable
- Familiarity with the FDA and regulatory agency knowledge
- Adept management skills of a document approval process that involves multiple stakeholders
- Project management skills and the ability to independently manage multiple projects simultaneously across contituencies
- Crisis/issue management experience
- Excellent leadership skills and the ability to lead project and cross-functional teams
ASPS offers a competitive benefits package and excellent work environment. Starting salary commensurate with qualifications.
For consideration for this position, please send your resume to email@example.com and enter "Director of Communications" in the subject line.
The American Society of Plastic Surgeons (ASPS), established in 1931, is the largest plastic surgery specialty organization in the world. ASPS represents more than 7,000 board-certified plastic surgeons, and is committed to advancing quality care and safety standards to patients everywhere. Plastic surgery thrives on innovation and ASPS member surgeons continue to be at the forefront of new clinical breakthroughs. By encouraging high standards of training, ethics, physician practice, and research, ASPS helps plastic surgeons and their staffs provide outstanding patient care.
ASPS is conveniently located in northwest suburban Chicago (Arlington Heights), close to O'Hare Airport and just off the Northwest Tollway (Arlington Hts Road Exit).