If you are a citizen of the United States, its territories or Canada and are in your final year of residency, you are eligible to begin the process of becoming an Active Member of the American Society of Plastic Surgeons® (ASPS®). The process is as follows:
Step 1: Applicant/Candidate for Membership
- Complete the Application for Active Membership on paper or online:
- Obtain a letter of sponsorship from an Active or Life Active Member of ASPS or your Training Program Director.
- Send a copy of your letter from The American Board of Plastic Surgery® (ABPS®) or The Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada® stating Board admissibility if you are within seven years of satisfactorily completing your formal residency training. If over seven years of residency completion, submit the certificate from the certifying board.
- Return the completed membership application, letter of sponsorship, board admissibility letter, a recent portrait-photograph, and the $125 application fee (U.S. Dollars) to the ASPS Executive Office:
American Society of Plastic Surgeons
444 East Algonquin Road
Arlington Heights, IL 60005-4664
- Once your application and above mentioned materials are received and you are elevated you will receive the following benefits:
- Subscription to Plastic Surgery News®
- Subscription to Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery® Scientific Journal
- Member prices on ASPS/PSF products and services
- Member prices on Patient-Education materials
- CME tracking
- Listed in the ASPS/PSF online Member Roster
- Eligible to present papers and participate in discussions at the ASPS annual meeting
Step 2: Active Membership
Your name may be entered on the preliminary ballot after you complete the following:
- Submit two letters of sponsorship from ASPS Active or Life Active Members within your local or geographic region (within 100 miles) and send it to the ASPS Executive Office. These letters are in addition to the first letter of sponsorship (as required in Step 1) If the original sponsor is not within the 100 mile geographical region.
- Complete one year as a Candidate for Membership.
- Become certified by The American Board of Plastic Surgery® (ABPS®) or The Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons in Canada®. ASPS will receive confirmation directly from the ABPS. Candidates for Membership from Canada must submit certification documentation to ASPS.
- Complete online orientation in the members-only section of the ASPS website.
Once you have satisfied the above requirements, your application will be reviewed by the Membership Committee. If approved, your name will be placed on the final ballot to be voted on by the ASPS Board of Directors. Election to Active Membership shall be by a majority vote of the Board at a meeting at which a quorum is present. All fees, dues or assessments must be paid before a Candidate for Membership is officially elevated to Active Membership status. Accreditation and CME compliance must be up to date.
As an Active Member you will receive the following additional benefits:
- Use of the ASPS Symbol of Excellence® to promote your ASPS membership on marketing materials
- Participate in the Find-A-Surgeon Referral Service hosted on the ASPS website
- May hold office and serve on committees
- Attend and vote at the Society's business meetings
If you have questions about ASPS Member benefits or the membership process please contact:
ASPS Member Services Center
847-228-9900 or 800-766-4955