ASPS has a formal agreement (Memorandum of Understanding) with a number of national plastic surgery societies that have met a standard set of criteria. Members of these national organizations have a different membership application process. If you are a member of one of the national societies, please follow the membership application steps outlined on this page.
- AUSTRALIA - Australian Society of Plastic Surgeons
- BELGIUM - Royal Belgian Society of Plastic, Reconstructive and Aesthetic Surgery (RBSPS)
- BRAZIL - Sociedade Brasileira de Cirurgia Plástica (SBCP)
- FRANCE - Société Française de Chirurgie Plastique Reconstructrice et Esthétique (SOFCPRE)
- IRELAND - Irish Association of Plastic Surgery (IAPS)
- ISRAEL - Israel Society of Plastic & Aesthetic Surgery (ISPAS)
- ITALY - Società Italiana di Chirurgia Plastica Ricostruttiva ed Estetica (SICPRE)
- NETHERLANDS - Nederlandse Vereniging voor Plastische Chirurgie (NVPC)
- NEW ZEALAND - New Zealand Association of Plastic Surgeons (NZAPS)
- SINGAPORE - Singapore Association of Plastic Surgeons (SAPS)
- SOUTH AFRICA - Association of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgeons of Southern Africa (APRSSA)
- SOUTH KOREA - Korean Society of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgeons (KSPRS)
- UNITED KINGDOM - The British Association of Plastic, Reconstructive and Aesthetic Surgeons (BAPRAS)
- TAIWAN - Taiwan Society of Plastic Surgery (TSPS)
If you are not a member of one of these Societies and practice outside of the US and Canada, please follow the International Membership Process for All Other Countries.
If you have been actively engaged in the practice of plastic or reconstructive surgery for at least three (3) years and reside and practice in a country other than the United States or Canada you may be eligible to become an International Member of the American Society of Plastic Surgeons® (ASPS®).
The governing Boards of ASPS and your National Society have entered into a Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) between our organizations. The MOU provides for mutual recognition of standards, governance and ethics; and acknowledges the eligibility of all active/full members of each National Society to join ASPS as an International Candidate, Resident or Member. Because of the high standards of practice your National Society subscribes to, they are able to sponsor you for membership in the American Society of Plastic Surgeons if you are an active/full plastic surgeon member in good standing in your National Society. You do not need a letter of sponsorship from another ASPS Active, Life, or International Member.
ASPS and your National Society have entered into this agreement with a spirit of mutual cooperation and sharing of information. You are required to maintain your membership in your National Society in order to maintain your membership in ASPS. You must also subscribe to the ASPS Code of Ethics.
- Complete the Application for International Membership on paper or online:
- Obtain a letter from the president, secretary or other authorized officer of the national plastic surgery society in the country where you are practicing which attests to your membership in good standing. The letter must include the date you became a member of your National Society.
- Submit the completed membership application, letter confirming your nation's plastic surgery society membership, a recent portrait-photograph, and the $125 application fee (U.S. Dollars) to the ASPS Executive Office:
American Society of Plastic Surgeons
444 East Algonquin Road
Arlington Heights, IL 60005-4664
**All information must be submitted in English.
Once you have submitted all the requested materials, your application will be reviewed by the Membership Committee.
- If you have been in practice less than three years, you will become an International Candidate Member of ASPS following review of your application by the Membership Committee.
- If you have been in active practice three years or more, you will be placed in the International Member category. The Membership Committee will recommend approval or disapproval to the Board of Directors. Election to International Membership shall be by a majority vote of the Board at a meeting at which a quorum is present.
- All fees, dues or assessments must be paid before being elevated to International Candidate or International Member category.
International Members receive the following benefits:
- Electronic subscription to Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery® Scientific Journal*
- Electronic subscription to Plastic Surgery News®
- Member prices on ASPS programs, products and services
- Member prices on Patient-Education materials
- Listing in the online ASPS Member Roster
- Name and address listing on the ASPS website: www.plasticsurgery.org
- Access to the Members Only section of the ASPS Website
International Candidates receive the following benefits:
- Electronic version of Plastic Surgery News®
- Member rates at symposia and annual meeting
- Discounted electronic subscription to Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery® Scientific Journal
*Print subscription available at an additional cost of $225 annually.
International Membership for MOU Countries Quick Reference Checklist
___Submit the completed membership application,
___The $125 application fee (U.S. Dollars)
___Letter confirming your nation's plastic surgery society membership,
___A recent portrait-photograph
If you have any questions about International Membership benefits or the membership process please contact:
ASPS Member Services Center
(847) 228-9900, ext. 471