Dr. Sorensen received his undergraduate degree from the University of Idaho and his degree in medicine from Loyola University Medical School in Chicago, Illinois. While at Loyola University, he received the Stritch Award as the outstanding graduating senior.
He completed a year of internship, and then four years of general surgery at Highland General Hospital in Oakland, California and the U.S. Naval Hospital in Portsmouth, Virginia.
He was then sent to Vietnam as a naval officer, serving with the Third Marine Division. After his discharge from the Navy, he returned to Idaho and practiced surgery for sixteen years.
In December of 1987, Dr. Sorensen returned to academic medicine and served two years as a Fellow in Plastic Surgery at the University of Utah Medical Center in Salt Lake City. He then did a facelift fellowship in Miami, Florida with Dr. Larry Robbins. He subsequently returned to Boise, Idaho and now practices plastic, reconstructive, and cosmetic surgery.
Dr. Sorensen is board-certified by the American Board of Surgery and the American Board of Plastic Surgery. He is a Fellow of the American College of Surgeons, a member of the American Society of Plastic Surgeons (ASPS), and the Aesthetic Society.
He is also a member of the prestigious Western Surgical Association and several other surgical societies. He has written numerous articles for scientific publications. He is a member of the AMA and the Idaho Medial Association. He is past President of the Ada County Medical Society. Dr. Sorensen was selected by the Idaho Medical Association for the A.H. Robbins Award in 1987 as the Physician of the Year for outstanding community service.
Dr. Sorensen served six years as a member of the Idaho State Board of Medicine and was also appointed to the Idaho State Board of Medical Discipline. Dr. Sorensen was elected in 1984 to serve in the Idaho Legislature. He represented Ada County in the floterial district. He was elected to leadership as Majority Caucus Chairman by his fellow members of the Idaho House of Representatives in his second term in office.
He also served on the Capital City Development Corporation. This Board is responsible for urban renewal and downtown development in Boise, Idaho.
He is a Flight Surgeon and Colonel (ret) in the Idaho Air National Guard and served as the Idaho State Air Surgeon.
St. Luke's Regional Medical Center, Boise ID
Treasure Valley Hospital, Boise ID
- BS University of Idaho
- MD Loyola University, Chicago
- Internship Highland Hospital, Oakland CA
- General Surgery Residency U.S. Naval Hospital, Portsmouth VA
- Plastic Surgery Residency University of Utah
- Cosmetic Surgery Fellowship Dr. Larry Robbins, Miami FL
- American Board of Surgery 1970
- American Board of Plastic Surgery 1992
- American Society of Plastic Surgeons
- Fellow of the American College of Surgeons
- American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery
- Western Surgical Association
- American Medical Association
- Rocky Mountain Society of Plastic Surgeons
- North West Society of Plastic Surgeons
- St. Luke's Regional Medical Center, Boise ID