New products, procedures and technologies are appearing with more frequency. In an effort to keep journalists apprised of the most current information, the American Society of Plastic Surgeons created the Technology Briefs section.
Check back for new additions to the page; new briefs will be posted when enough information is collected on each topic.
Many of the topics discussed in this section are procedures or technologies that are relatively new or currently under clinical investigation and may require further scientific study to determine efficacy and success rate.
These topics are presented for research and education purposes only. The ASPS does not endorse the procedures or technologies in this section.
Physicians using such procedures or technologies are advised to make individual treatment decisions according to their own medical judgment in light of each patient's individual circumstance.
Further, any reporting or publication of the information presented must be done responsibly with full disclosure of its unproven nature.
AccuSculpt Laser Lipolysis System
- Receiving regulatory clearance from the FDA, the AccuSculpt™ Laser Lipolysis System, according to the manufacturer, is the first Pulsed Nd:YAG Laser to deliver a 1444 nanometer(nm) wavelength. The special wavelength is said to allow for improved accuracy and minimally-invasive deep tissue heating.
GFX Nerve Ablation System (Glabellar Furrow Relaxation)
- Currently, neurotoxin injections, like Botox, are the main treatment option for erasing frown lines on the forehead. For those who might be concerned about injections, those worries may be alleviated as patients may soon have an alternative therapy for treating frown lines.
Focused Ultrasound Body Contouring
- Non-invasive body sculpting is shaping up to be the next frontier in body contouring.
Lipodissolve and Mesotherapy (Injection Lipolysis)
- Injection lipolysis involves injecting a mixture of chemicals, generally consisting of a combination of phosphatidylcholine and sodium deoxycholate, into the skin and/or subcutaneous fatty tissue in order to dissolve fat cells.
Laser-assisted liposuction (SmartLipo)
- Laser-assisted liposuction, introduced in 2007, is one of the newest liposuction techniques. SmartLipo is the first laser to be approved by the FDA to be used for fat dissolution.