Questions to ask your breast reduction surgeon
It is important for you to be an active participant in the process of considering and planning your breast reduction surgery. The following list of questions will help you obtain the information you need during your consultation.
Use these questions as a guide during your consultation:
- Are you certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery?
- Are you a member of the American Society of Plastic Surgeons?
- Were you trained specifically in the field of plastic surgery?
- How many years of plastic surgery training have you had?
- Where and how will you perform my breast reduction procedure?
- Do you have hospital privileges to perform this procedure? If so, at which hospitals?
- Is the office-based surgical facility accredited by a nationally or state-recognized accrediting agency, or is it state-licensed or Medicare-certified?
- Am I a good candidate for breast reduction?
- What will be expected of me to get the best results from breast reduction surgery?
- What surgical technique is recommended for me?
- How long of a recovery period can I expect, and what kind of help will I need during my recovery?
- What are the risks and complications associated with my breast reduction procedure?
- How are breast reduction complications handled?
- How will breast reduction affect my ability to breastfeed?
- How can I expect my breasts to look over time? After pregnancy? After breastfeeding?
- What are my options if I am dissatisfied with the outcome?
- Do you have breast reduction before-and-after photos I can look at for this procedure? Which results are reasonable for me to expect?