Questions to ask your plastic surgeon
Use this checklist as a guide during your consultation
- Are you certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery?
- Are you a member of the American Society of Plastic Surgeons?
- Were you specially trained in the field of plastic surgery?
- Do you have hospital privileges to perform this procedure? If so, at which hospitals?
- Is the office-based surgical facility accredited by a nationally or state recognized accrediting agency, or is state licensed or Medicare-certified?
- How many procedures of this type have you performed?
- Is my child a good candidate for this procedure?
- What will be expected to get the best results?
- Where and how will you perform my child’s procedure?
- What shape, size, surface texturing, incision site and placement site are recommended for my child?
- How long of a recovery period can we expect, and what kind of help will my child need during my recovery?
- What are the risks and complications associated with this procedure?
- How are complications handled?
- What are my options if I am dissatisfied with the outcome of my child’s cleft surgery?
- Do you have before-and-after photos I can look at for each procedure and what are reasonable results?