Preparing for surgery
Prior to surgery, you may be asked to:
- Get lab testing or a medical evaluation
- Take certain medications or adjust your current medications
- Stop smoking well in advance of surgery
- Avoid taking aspirin, anti-inflammatory drugs and herbal supplements as they can increase bleeding
Special instructions you receive will cover:
- What to do on the day of surgery
- The use of anesthesia during your skin cancer surgery
- Post-operative care and follow-up
Your plastic surgeon will also discuss where your procedure will be performed. Skin cancer surgery may be performed in an accredited outpatient or ambulatory surgical center, or a hospital.
You’ll need help
If your procedure is performed on an outpatient basis, be sure to arrange for someone to drive you home after surgery and to stay with you for at least the first night following surgery.