Employer: American Society of Plastic Surgeons (ASPS)
Position Location: Arlington Heights, Ill. (headquarters)
Title: Accounting Assistant
Department: Finance and Administration
Reports To: Director of Finance
The American Society of Plastic Surgeons (ASPS) is seeking a accounting Assistant to work in our Finance and Administration Department.
Performs designated accounts payable functions, including purchase order (PO) processing, disbursements, check requests, employee advances, vendor files, ACH/ebanking payments and vendor/expense analyses.
- Performs data entry, and processes PO requests in the accounts payable system.
- Prepares incoming invoices for payment.
- Processes weekly check runs and special check runs as needed.
- Generates recurring payables (i.e., Presidential Stipends, PRS Editor Stipend, etc.).
- Responds to accounting and financial questions by researching and interpreting data.
- Participates in the month-end and year-end close process, including preparing reports and performing account reconciliations and allocations, and journal entries.
- Schedules payments of annual meeting deposits & educational grants/awards so that they are paid within contract stipulations.
- Generates and analyzes various reports for distribution (e.g., unpaid invoices report, monthly activity report, check registers, vendor registers and expense analysis).
- Maintains accurate records of paid invoices, credit balances, and disputed invoices.
- Files paid bills and maintains vendor files.
- Assists the Finance Department with clerical functions as assigned.
- Ensures that all of the proper controls are adhered to during the Accountants Payable process, i.e., document retention and maintenance, dual signature, etc.
- Prepares and processes accounts payable upload file to the bank, wire transfers and ACH files to JP Morgan Access.
- Performs reconciliation and monitoring of accounts to ensure payments are up to date.
- Monitors, processes, and confirms activity of travel reimbursements for ASPS/PSF/PSPS staff. Ensure adherence with current travel policies and process travel reimbursements for said activities – Concur administrator.
- Monitors, process, and confirm activity of travel reimbursements for volunteers, including ASPS Executive Committee members, ASPS/PSF Board members, Committee members, and appointed representatives. Ensure adherence with current travel policies and process travel reimbursements for said activities.
- Assists with the validation and filing of the annual 1099 process.
- Seeks the continuous improvement of processes and support department initiatives, i.e. AP automation, review of commercial credit card program, etc.
- Perform other duties as assigned
- Bachelors degree preferred
- One to two years related experience
- Data entry and word processing experience
- Ability to communicate clearly and professionally with vendors and co-workers through both verbal and written communication
- Reliable and punctual with a very strong work ethic. Ability to multi-task and prioritize in a fast paced environment
- Able to produce an accurate and timely product and meet assigned deadlines
- Proficient in Microsoft Office products, Dynamics SL and Aptify knowledge desired
- Strong understanding of accounting
- Customer Service: Works well with customers, promotes a positive image of the company, strives to solve issues raised by customers
- Dependability: Meets deadlines, works independently, accountable, maintains focus, punctual, good attendance record
- Ethics: Honest, accountable, maintains confidentiality
- Job Knowledge: Understands facets of job, aware of duties and responsibilities, keeps job knowledge current
- Organization Skills: Information organized and accessible, maintains efficient work space, manages time well
- Quality: Strives to eliminate errors, accurate work is a priority, seeks opportunities to improve product/services
- Manual Dexterity: Work requires a few simple but rapid hand operations with heavy requirement for accuracy or placement. Physically operate routine office equipment, such as telephones, computers, calculator and copier.
- Physical Effort: Work requires negligible physical exertion. Position requires use of computer which entails possible strain on eyes, soreness of fingers and wrists. Also can include prolonged amounts of time sitting. Required to lift boxes, files up to 25 lbs.
- Working Conditions: Ordinary office environment with some slightly disagreeable features. Most work done in office, use of computer and telephone for discussion with members, staff. May be required to travel to sites other than the organization's main office. Work overtime as required.
- Hazards: Negligible. Little or no exposure to hazards.
For consideration for this position, please send your resume and salary history to firstname.lastname@example.org and enter "Accounting Assistant" in the subject line.
The American Society of Plastic Surgeons (ASPS) is the largest plastic surgery specialty organization in the world. Founded in 1931, the Society is comprised of more than 7,000 physician members and represents more than 94 percent of all board-certified plastic surgeons in the United States. ASPS' mission is to advance quality care to plastic surgery patients by encouraging high standards of training, ethics, physician practice and research in plastic surgery.
ASPS is conveniently located in Northwest Suburban Chicago (in Arlington Heights), close to O'Hare Airport and just off the Northwest Tollway (Arlington Hts Road Exit).