Social Media Specialist
Are you an expressive communications professional with a background in the social media presence of an organization? Do you enjoy crafting persuasive, creative messaging? Do you have an interest in improving the online presence and engagement of a nonprofit organization in the healthcare industry? If so, the American Society of Plastic Surgeons has the perfect opportunity for you!
The ASPS Social Media Specialist is a dynamic, energetic individual who loves social media, has a deep understanding of the many platforms and enjoys interfacing with the patient and member surgeon audiences. This role is responsible for communicating with the patient public via social platforms and encouraging greater social media engagement and follower growth in these audiences. The specialist also provides analysis and support for the Communications Department, including routine analysis of metrics and branding and marketing efforts of the American Society of Plastic Surgeons and The Plastic Surgery Foundation.
Duties also include implementing social media strategies, reporting on the effectiveness of campaigns and staying current with social media best practices, writing/creating content based on trends and news of the specialty and providing critical social media support to all departments to ensure compelling messaging is distributed in a timely manner through appropriate channels.
This role requires close and frequent collaboration with various stakeholders to help translate content for all social media platforms. It further requires the identification of emerging platforms to aid in the proliferation of messaging to desired audiences. The ideal candidate should have a background in social media, communications, marketing and/or public relations, possess strong writing skills and have a solid understanding of and passion for connecting with audiences via social media.
What You Will Do
- Possess strong experience and understanding of Facebook, Instagram, X (formerly Twitter), TikTok, Threads, YouTube and LinkedIn in the healthcare patient-centric space; Google Analytics and Google AdWords analytic knowledge or verification is a bonus.
- Develops engaging social media copy and accompanying graphics and videos in collaboration with management and subject matter experts.
- Aligns messaging with appropriate social media platform and target audiences using established guidelines and best practices for each. Copy and graphics are toned appropriately within brand, audience and platform, free from grammatical or spelling errors and professionally rendered befitting a national-level organization and in accordance with social media strategy.
- Proactively manages and creates branded content calendar in project management software; aligned with ASPS integrated communications strategy and brand objectives and informed by strategic pillars.
- Monitors ASPS/PSF social media channels for discussions and opportunities for engagement and responds with appropriately toned and timely messages.
- Coordinates social media "takeovers" and other events by plastic surgeons to ensure engagement and enforce standards of participation.
- Develops and monitors social media marketing/communications campaigns alongside larger annual campaigns: Procedural Statistics Release and/or National Campaign, using social media ad platforms, targeted audiences and other tools available. Certification in social media ads is a plus.
- Owns evaluation of social media platform performance across multiple KPIs and utilizes data-informed decision-making to measure the success of social media and awareness campaigns.
- Prepares routine reports for management and leadership. Makes strategic recommendations for improvement.
- Passionately follows trends on social media and in the specialty, writes brief articles and blogs based on plastic surgery topics as directed. Able to effectively implement organic keywords and phrases.
- Actively collaborates with team and individual contributors within the communications and marketing department of ASPS and supports project development and success.
- Serves as a staff liaison to the ASPS Social Media Subcommittee. Communicate with and reports to senior member leadership and get consensus from key member stakeholders.
- Provides administrative support for the division as needed.
- Some travel is required (typically no more than two weeks per year)
- Basic graphic design (Canva, Photoshop, Illustrator) and video editing skills.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
What You Will Need
Education: Bachelor's degree in Communications, Marketing, Public Relations, Journalism or related field required.
Experience: Two to three years in a social media, communications, marketing or public relations department with a strong emphasis on social media performance at a national level. Healthcare experience is strongly preferred. Portfolio of samples requested for interview.
Excellent organizational and project management skills, a sound understanding of the principles of digital and social marketing, social media platforms, new technologies – and how they can be adopted and applied to social media/communications strategies. The right candidate will also have excellent copywriting and editing skills. The ideal candidate is creative and innovative, deadline-driven with strong attention to detail, dynamic and personable, with a love for social media and a desire to succeed. The ability to articulate results, progress and strategy into written reports is important, as well as the ability to exude professionalism in business correspondence, including in response to members and public, internal managers and other stakeholders.
Required Skills: Excellent writing skills, project coordination, event promotion, understanding of merchandising, customer service, data entry and analysis and ad trafficking. Expertise in Word, Excel, PowerPoint and project management software desired. Aptify preferred.
Preferred Skills: Extreme attention to detail, professionalism, writing and proofreading skills with knowledge of AP Style and online marketing strategy, including email, Google AdWords and Google Analytics, social media, sales and marketing research. Association experience is not required.