Provider Relief Funds – Phase 3
The United States Department of Health & Human Services (HHS) has announced $20 billion in new Provider Relief Funding (PRF). Under this Phase 3 allocation, providers that have already received PRF payments can apply for additional funding. Previously ineligible providers will also be invited to apply.
All eligible providers will be considered for payment against the below criteria.
- All provider submissions will be reviewed to confirm they have received a Provider Relief Fund payment equal to approximately 2 percent of patient care revenue from prior general distributions. Phase 3 funding will then be calculated using an equitable add-on payment that considers the following:
- A provider's change in operating revenues from patient care
- A provider's change in operating expenses from patient care, including expenses incurred related to coronavirus
- Payments already received through prior Provider Relief Fund distributions.
- Applicants that have not yet received Relief Fund payments of 2 percent of patient revenue will receive a payment that, when combined with prior payments (if any), equals 2 percent of patient care revenue.
Provider Relief Fund payments may be used to cover lost revenue attributable to COVID-19 or health-related expenses purchased to prevent, prepare for and respond to coronavirus, including but not limited to:
- Workforce training
- Reporting COVID-19 test results to federal, state or local governments
- Building or constructing temporary structures for COVID-19 patient care or non-COVID-19 patients in a separate area
- Acquiring additional resources, including facilities, supplies or staffing to expand or preserve care delivery
- Developing and staffing emergency operation centers
Recipients of >$10,000 will be required to submit reports about the use of their Provider Relief Fund distribution.
Apply for funding
All applicants must submit their TIN and financial information to the Provider Relief Fund Application and Attestation Portal. Applicants who submit by Friday, November 6, 2020, at 11:59 PM ET will be considered for funding.
Providers are encouraged to submit their applications as soon as possible to expedite the calculation and distribution of payments. Providers should apply if they have lost revenues and/or increased expenses attributable to COVID-19 that have not been reimbursed by other sources.
- Most recent federal income tax return for 2017, 2018 or 2019, unless exempt
- Revenue worksheet (if required by Field 15)
- Operating revenues and expenses from patient care
Note: Providers will need to submit a new application, even if they previously submitted revenue details for a prior PRF distribution; the application has been updated to include some additional data entries in order to calculate payment based on financial impact of COVID-19.
All applications must be submitted through the Provider Relief Application and Attestation Portal
Providers will have from October 5, 2020, through November 6, 2020, to apply for Phase 3 funding.
HHS has indicated their top priority is ensuring as many providers possible have an opportunity to apply and will host webinars to assist providers through the application process.
The CMS call center – (866) 569-3522 – is also available to address questions.