Do Your Homework
Choose a Board-Certified Plastic Surgeon
The Do Your Homework campaign educates the public on the importance of researching plastic surgery procedures and choosing board-certified plastics surgeons for the safest outcomes.
What is board certification in plastic surgery?
Choosing a plastic surgeon you can trust begins with making sure your surgeon is board certified. ASPS Member Surgeons in the United States and Canada must meet rigorous standards:
- Board certification by the American Board of Plastic Surgery® (ABPS) or in Canada by The Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada®
- Complete at least six years of surgical training following medical school with a minimum of three years of plastic surgery residency training
- Pass comprehensive oral and written exams
- Graduate from an accredited medical school
- Complete continuing medical education, including patient safety each year
- Perform surgery in accredited, state-licensed or Medicare-certified surgical facilities
- Adheres to a strict Code of Ethics