At the office of Dr. Glynn Bolitho, our goal is to provide you with exceptional surgical care. Our staff works to provide the best possible surgical outcomes in a setting that embodies the standards and lifestyle you seek. This means attention to your individual needs before, during and after surgery.
Our founder, Dr. Bolitho structures his practice around personalized, one-on-one care. We believe that plastic surgery is your first step to permanent lifestyle enhancement. From consultation to follow up, our professional staff strives to meet the individual needs and desires of our patients. Dr. Bolitho's precision and attention to detail are unrivaled, ensuring positive, successful outcomes for all his patients.
Monday through Thursday 8:30am - 5:00pm
Dr. Bolitho received his medical degree from the University of the Witwatersrand in Johannesburg. As a medical student he was awarded the Harwood Nash medal for Surgery, the Society of Anesthetists’ prize for Anesthesia, the prize for Gynecology, and the Protea Surgical prize for the final year medical student to demonstrate the most clinical ability. He graduated cum laude in 1986.
He then embarked on general surgical and orthopedic surgical training prior to commencing plastic surgery. During this preliminary period, he elected to dedicate himself to basic science research in the laboratory where Dr. Christiaan Barnard performed his early research. His primary focus was in the field of liver transplantation and microvascular surgery. Following a successful period in the laboratory, he received numerous awards including the Lennox Gordon prize for the most distinguished publication by a resident in training, the Bunny Angorn prize for the best resident presentation by the Surgical Research Society, the Association of Surgeon’s medal for the best publication by a resident, and the George Sacks prize for outstanding postgraduate research. The culmination was the award of the degree of Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) by thesis. The thesis involved study of the ability of the liver to regenerate following transplantation.
He spent five years completing plastic surgery residency training at the University of Cape Town, Oxford University in the UK, and at Emory University in Atlanta. After completion of plastic surgery residency, he completed fellowships in hand surgery and surgical oncology. He was later invited to join the esteemed faculty at Emory University, in Atlanta, where he was appointed Assistant Professor in the Division of Plastic Surgery. During this time he was awarded the Teacher of the Year award, and was awarded the best (joint) author for a paper at the South Eastern Society of Plastic Surgeons meeting.
In June 2000, he entered private practice in La Jolla, CA where he currently practices. He serves as Voluntary Associate Professor in the Division of Plastic Surgery University of San Diego (non-salaried).
Dr.Bolitho is certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery, and the equivalent plastic surgery boards in Britain, Canada and his native South Africa. He is a Fellow of the American College of Surgeons, the Royal College of Surgeons of Canada, a member of the American Society of Plastic Surgeons, the American Society of Aesthetic Plastic surgeons. and the American Society of Bariatric Plastic Surgeons.
John Bostwick Memorial Surgery Center (AAAASF certified)
Mary Birch Hospital
Sharp Outpatient Pavilion
- MBBCh (Cum Laude) University of the Witwatersrand, Johannesburg, South Africa, 1986
- Diploma in Emergency Care, 1989
- Doctor of philosophy (PhD), 1991
- General and plastic surgery residency, University of Cape Town, 1990 - 1995
- Fellowship in Hand surgery, University of Cape Town, 1996
- Fellowship in plastic surgery, Emory University, Atlanta 1997-1998
- Fellowship in surgical oncology, Emory University, Atlanta 1998-1999
- Diplomate of the American Board of Plastic Surgery 2011
- Fellow of the Royal College of Surgeons of Canada (plastic surgery) 2002
- Board certified in plastic surgery in the United Kingdom 1998
- Fellow of the South African College of Surgeons (plastic surgery) 1995
- American Society of Plastic Surgeons
- Member, American Society of Plastic Surgeons
- Member, American Society of Aesthetic Plastic Surgeons
- Member, California Society of Plastic Surgeons
- Member, San Diego Society of Plastic Surgeons
- Fellow, American College of Surgeons
- Fellow, Royal College of Surgeons of Canada
- American Society of Bariatric Plastic Surgeons
- General Medical Council, United Kingdom
- Fellow, College of Surgeons of South Africa
- San Diego County Medical Association
- Scripps Memorial Hospital, La Jolla, CA
- Mary Birch Hospital for Women, San Diego
- Sharp Memorial Hospital
- Children's Hospital of San Diego