What should I expect during my buccal fat removal recovery?
Following your buccal fat removal surgery, you may be instructed to stay on a liquid diet for several days or longer. Your surgeon may instruct you on special mouth rinses to reduce the risk of infection.
You will be given specific instructions that may include:
- How to care for your surgical site(s) following surgery
- Medications to apply or take orally to aid healing and reduce the risk of infection
- Specific concerns to look for at the surgical site or in your general health
- When to follow up with your plastic surgeon
Be sure to ask your plastic surgeon specific questions about what you can expect during your individual recovery period.
- Where will I be taken after my surgery is complete?
- What medication will I be given or prescribed after surgery?
- Will I have dressings/bandages after surgery? When will they be removed?
- When can I resume normal activity and exercise?
- When do I return for follow-up care?
Healing will continue for several weeks as swelling decreases. Continue to follow your plastic surgeon's instructions and attend follow-up visits as scheduled.