What should I expect during my dermal fillers recovery?
Recovery time varies for each patient and for each type of filler injected. You can resume most activities right away, but it is generally recommended that you avoid intense physical activity for the first 24-48 hours to minimize swelling and bruising. Be sure to discuss your specific recovery plan with your physician prior to scheduling your injections.
Your initial appearance after treatment with any dermal filler may include:
- An "overfilled" appearance to treated areas
- Swelling or bruising ranging from mild to severe
- Temporary numbness or redness
- Palpable lumps or hard areas at the injection sites
- Hypersensitivity reaction that can seem like an allergic reaction with hives and swelling
Most conditions can be alleviated with topical icing and massage and will improve within a matter of hours or just a few days. Some reactions may require more aggressive treatment with medications or injections.
Although not common, visual disturbances may occur. When accompanied by pain or weakness on one side of your body, it is extremely important that you contact your surgeon and receive care immediately.
When your own fat is the injected filler, the healing process is longer and may take a few weeks. Get more information about fat injections.