What are the risks of rhinoplasty?
The decision to have plastic surgery is extremely personal. You will have to decide if the benefits will achieve your goals and if the risks and potential complications of rhinoplasty are acceptable.
Your plastic surgeon and/or staff will explain in detail the risks associated with surgery. You will be asked to sign consent forms to ensure that you fully understand the procedure and any risks or potential complications.
Rhinoplasty surgery risks include:
- Anesthesia risks
- Change in skin sensation (numbness or pain)
- Difficulty breathing
- Nasal septal perforation (a hole in the nasal septum) is rare. Additional surgical treatment may be necessary to repair the septum but it may be impossible to correct this complication
- Poor wound healing or scarring
- Possibility of revisional surgery
- Skin discoloration and swelling
- Unsatisfactory nasal appearance
These risks and others will be fully discussed prior to your consent. It is important that you address all your questions directly with your plastic surgeon.