What should I expect during a consultation for spider vein treatment?
During your spider vein treatment consultation be prepared to discuss:
- Any problems you may have had in the area to be treated, such as pain or previous injuries
- Any surgical procedures that have been performed near the area to be treated, including any previous vein treatments
- Current medications, vitamins, herbal supplements, alcohol, tobacco and drug use
- Medical conditions, family history, drug allergies and medical treatments
- Your goals
Your plastic surgeon will also:
- Evaluate your general health status and any pre-existing health conditions or risk factors
- Examine your veins in detail
- Discuss likely outcomes of spider vein treatment and any risks or potential complications
- Discuss your options
- Recommend a course of treatment
If leg veins are the problem, your surgeon may examine you for signs of more serious "deep vein" problems, as well as for larger, varicose veins. These conditions are often identified by swelling, sores or skin changes at the ankle.
If more serious vascular problems are identified, your surgeon may refer you to a different specialist for further evaluation and possible treatment.
Be sure to ask your plastic surgeon questions. To help, we have prepared a checklist of questions to ask during your spider vein treatment consultation.
It's very important to understand all aspects of your spider vein treatment. It's natural to feel some anxiety, whether it's excitement for your anticipated new look or a bit of pre-treatment stress. Don't be shy about discussing these feelings with your plastic surgeon.