What should I expect during a consultation for breast reduction surgery?
The success and safety of your breast reduction procedure depends very much on your complete candidness during your consultation. You'll be asked a number of questions about your health, desires and lifestyle.
During your consultation be prepared to discuss:
- Your surgical goals
- Your reasons for wanting to have surgery, your expectations and your desired outcome
- Your medical condition and medical treatments (bring documentation if you have it)
- Your current medications and drug allergies, any vitamins or herbal supplements you take and any alcohol, tobacco, vaping or drug use
- Breast cancer in the family, as well as the results of any mammograms or previous biopsies
- Any questions or concerns you have about breast reduction from your own research
Your plastic surgeon will also:
- Evaluate your general health status and any pre-existing health conditions or risk factors
- Examine and evaluate the appearance of your breasts, including the position of the nipples and areolas, the condition of the skin and the shape of the breasts
- Take photographs
- Discuss your options and recommend a course of treatment
- Discuss the likely outcomes of breast reduction and any risks or potential complications
Be sure to ask your plastic surgeon questions. It's very important to understand all aspects of your breast reduction surgery, especially regarding your personal health history. It's natural to feel some anxiety, whether it's excitement for your anticipated new look or a bit of preoperative stress. Don't be shy about discussing these feelings with your plastic surgeon.
To help, we have prepared a checklist of questions to ask your plastic surgeon that you can take with you to your consultation.