What should I expect during a consultation for breast reduction surgery?
The success and safety of your breast reduction procedure highly depends on your complete candidness during your consultation. You'll be asked a number of questions about your health, desires and lifestyle.
During your breast reduction consultation be prepared to discuss:
- Why you want the surgery, your expectations and desired outcome
- Medical conditions, drug allergies and medical treatments
- Use of current medications, vitamins, herbal supplements, alcohol, tobacco and drugs
- Previous surgeries
- Family history of breast cancer and results of any mammograms or previous biopsies
Your plastic surgeon will also:
- Evaluate your general health status and any pre-existing health conditions or risk factors
- Examine your breasts, and may take detailed measurements of their size and shape, skin quality, placement of your nipples and areolas
- Take photographs for your medical record
- Discuss your options and recommend a course of treatment
- Discuss likely outcomes of your breast reduction procedure and any risks or potential complications
- Discuss the use of anesthesia during your procedure for breast reduction
The consultation is the time to ask your plastic surgeon questions. To help, we have prepared a checklist of questions to ask your breast reduction surgeon that you can take with you to your consultation.