Cleft Lip and Cleft Palate Repair
Correcting Abnormal Development
Cleft lip and cleft palate repair surgically corrects abnormal development, restoring function to the lips and mouth and producing a more normal appearance.
What should I expect during a consultation for cleft lip and cleft palate repair?
The success and safety of your child's cleft procedure starts during your consultation with a plastic surgeon.
During your child's cleft surgery consultation be prepared to discuss:
- Your concerns and an evaluation of your child's condition
- Options available for cleft lip and/or cleft palate repair
- Likely outcomes of surgery and the potential risks and complications associated with the procedure
- A recommended course of treatment
Be candid about your concerns for your child and your plastic surgeon's ability to meet his or her special needs. The success of your child's procedure, safety and overall satisfaction requires that you:
- Honestly share your concerns
- Fully disclose your child's health history including current medications, vitamins and herbal supplements
- Commit to precisely following all of your plastic surgeon's instructions