What should I expect during a consultation for hand surgery?
The success and safety of your hand procedure depends very much on your complete candidness during your hand surgery consultation. You'll be asked a number of questions about your health, desires and lifestyle.
During your hand surgery consultation be prepared to discuss:
- Why you want the procedure, your expectations and desired outcome
- Medical conditions, drug allergies and medical treatments
- Use of current medications, vitamins, herbal supplements, alcohol, tobacco and drugs
- Previous surgeries
Your plastic surgeon will also:
- Evaluate your general health status and any pre-existing health conditions or risk factors
- Examine your hand in detail
- Discuss your options and recommend a course of treatment to restore hand function
- Discuss likely outcomes of hand surgery and any risks or potential complications