What should I expect during a consultation for septoplasty?
During your septoplasty consultation be prepared to discuss:
- Your surgical goals
- Medical conditions, drug allergies and medical treatments
- Current medications, vitamins, herbal supplements, alcohol, tobacco and drug use
- Previous surgeries
- Method of surgery (ex: will nasal packing or nasal splints be used?)
Your plastic surgeon will also:
- Evaluate your general health status and any pre-existing health conditions or risk factors
- Use a scope to observe the degree of deviation of the septum
- Discuss your options and recommend a course of treatment
- Discuss likely outcomes of septoplasty and any risks or potential complications
The success and safety of your septoplasty depends very much on your complete candidness during your consultation. You will be asked a number of questions about your health, desires and lifestyle. It is natural to feel some anxiety, whether it is excitement for your anticipated new look or a bit of preoperative stress. Do not be shy about discussing these feelings with your plastic surgeon.