Who is a good candidate for breast implant removal?
Breast implant removal surgery is a highly individualized procedure. It should be performed if you have capsular contracture (hardening of the breast), pain with implants, imaging has shown a leak of the capsule and/or if you no longer desire implants or wish to exchange them.
In general, you may be a good candidate for breast implant removal if:
- You are physically healthy and at a stable weight
- You have realistic expectations
- You are a nonsmoker
- You are bothered by the appearance of your implants
- You have experienced discomfort or pain
- You feel your breasts are too heavy
- You are starting to feel your breast scar tissue is getting harder or tighter
- Imaging suggests a leak or rupture of implants
- You have experienced a rupture or leak of implants
If you're considering surgery, spend some time reviewing before and after photos and learning about what to expect during recovery. Preparation ahead of time helps patients have reasonable expectations and a smoother recovery.