What should I expect during a consultation for lymphedema surgery?
During your lymphedema surgery consultation, be prepared to discuss:
- Your surgical goals
- Medical conditions, drug allergies and medical treatments
- Current medications, vitamins, herbal supplements, alcohol, tobacco and drug use
- Previous surgeries
Your plastic surgeon will also:
- Evaluate your general health status and any pre-existing health conditions or risk factors
- Examine your extremities to assess skin quality, fibrosis and take circumferential measurements
- Take photographs
- Discuss your options and recommend a course of treatment
- Discuss likely outcomes of lymphedema surgery and any risks or potential complications
Be sure to ask your plastic surgeon questions. It's very important to understand all aspects of your type of lymphedema and potential treatments. To help, we have prepared a checklist of questions to ask your plastic surgeon that you can take with you to your consultation.
It's natural to feel some anxiety, whether it's excitement or a bit of preoperative stress. Don't be shy about discussing these feelings with your plastic surgeon.