How should I prepare for lymphedema surgery?
In preparing for lymphedema surgery, you may be asked to:
- Get lab testing or a medical evaluation
- Take certain medications or adjust your current medications
- Obtain specialized diagnostic testing and imaging such as ICG lymphography
- Stop smoking
- Achieve weight loss goals
- Avoid taking aspirin, anti-inflammatory drugs and herbal supplements as they can increase bleeding
Lymphedema surgery is typically performed in a hospital setting, may include a short hospital stay, and will likely use general anesthesia. Some follow-up procedures may be performed on an outpatient basis, and local anesthesia with sedation may be used.
These decisions will be based on the requirements of your specific procedure and in consideration of your preferences and your doctor's best judgment.