What should I expect during my recovery after tattoo removal?
No matter which type of tattoo removal procedure you have performed, you will have a gauze bandage applied to the area after the procedure is done. Your surgeon will discuss with you how to care for the area after the procedure is done. Typically, this will require no more than washing the area daily with soap and water and applying a new gauze dressing.
You will be given specific instructions that may include:
- How to care for you surgical sites following the procedure
- Medications to apply or to take orally to aid healing and reduce risk of infection
- Specific concerns to look for at the surgical site or in your general health
- When to follow up with your plastic surgeon
Be sure to ask your plastic surgeon specific questions about what you can expect during your individual recovery period.
- What medications will I be given or prescribed after surgery?
- Will I have dressings/bandages after the procedure? When will they be removed?
- When can I bathe or shower?
- When can I resume normal activity and exercise?
- When do I return for follow up?