What should I expect during a consultation for facial feminization surgery?
During your facial feminization surgery consultation be prepared to discuss:
- Your transition process
- Your surgical goals
- Medical conditions, drug allergies and medical treatments
- Current medications, vitamins, herbal supplements, alcohol, tobacco and drug use
- Previous surgeries
Your surgeon will also:
- Evaluate your general health status and any pre-existing health conditions or risk factors
- Examine your face and take measurements of the size and shape of the facial structures and evaluate the skin quality
- Take photographs
- Take x-rays of the skull
- Discuss your options and recommend a course of treatment
- Discuss likely outcomes of facial feminization surgery and any risks or potential complications
Be sure to ask your plastic surgeon questions. It’s very important to understand all aspects of your facial feminization surgery. To help, we have prepared a checklist of questions to ask your plastic surgeon that you can take with you to your consultation.
It’s natural to feel some anxiety, whether it’s excitement for your anticipated new look or a bit of preoperative stress. Don’t be shy about discussing these feelings with your plastic surgeon.