Giant Nevi Removal
Congenital Nevi Surgery
Children can be born with pigmented moles called congenital nevi. The goal of giant nevi removal is to eliminate these pigmented moles.
What should I expect during a consultation for giant nevi removal?
The success and safety of giant nevi removal surgery start with a consultation with a plastic surgeon and depends very much on your complete candidness.
During your giant nevi removal surgery consultation be prepared to discuss:
- Your surgical goals
- Options available to remove the nevus and reconstruct the associated defect
- Medical conditions, drug allergies and medical treatments
- Current medications, vitamins, herbal supplements, alcohol, tobacco and drug use
- Previous surgeries
Your plastic surgeon will also:
- Evaluate your general health status and any pre-existing health conditions or risk factors
- Examine your or your child's abdomen
- Take photographs
- Discuss your options and recommend a course of treatment
- Discuss likely outcomes of giant nevi removal surgery and any risks or potential complications
Be sure to ask your plastic surgeon questions. It's very important to understand all aspects of the proposed options for giant nevi removal surgery so you can make an informed decision about which seems best for you or your child's situation. To help, we have prepared a checklist of questions to ask your plastic surgeon that you can take with you to the consultation.
It's natural to feel some anxiety about surgery. Don't be shy about discussing these feelings with your plastic surgeon.