Reconstructive microsurgery focuses on repairing intricate structures such as blood vessels and nerves less than a few millimeters in diameter.
What should I expect during a consultation for microsurgery?
During your microsurgery consultation be prepared to discuss:
- Your surgical goals
- Medical conditions, drug allergies and medical treatments
- Current medications, vitamins, herbal supplements, alcohol, tobacco and drug use
- Previous surgeries
Your microsurgeon will also:
- Evaluate your general health status and any pre-existing health conditions or risk factors
- Take photographs
- Discuss your options and recommend a course of treatment
- Discuss likely outcomes of the specific microsurgical procedure and any risks or potential complications
The success and safety of your procedure depends very much on your complete candidness during your consultation. You'll be asked a number of questions about your health, desires and lifestyle.
Be sure to ask your plastic surgeon questions. It's very important to understand all aspects of your microsurgical procedure. To help, we have prepared a checklist of questions to ask your microsurgeon that you can take with you to your consultation.
It's natural to feel some anxiety, whether it's excitement or a bit of preoperative stress. Don't be shy about discussing these feelings with your plastic surgeon.