Gluteal Augmentation and Lift
Buttock augmentation improves the contour, size and shape of the buttocks. A buttock lift improves the tone of the underlying tissue in the buttocks. A Brazilian butt lift is a common buttock enhancement procedure.
What should I expect during my buttock enhancement recovery?
After your buttock enhancement procedure, dressings/bandages will be applied to the incisions. Small, thin tubes may be temporarily placed under the skin to drain any excess blood or fluid that may collect. You will be taken into a recovery area to be closely monitored, and may be permitted to go home after a few hours.
You will be instructed to wear a support garment around-the-clock following your surgery. Your surgeon will tell you how long you need to wear the garment and if there are any other garments that you may have to wear during your recovery.
You will be given specific instructions that may include:
- How to care for your surgical site(s) following surgery
- Medications to apply or take orally to aid healing
- Specific concerns to look for at the surgical site or in your general health
- How to care for your drains
- When to follow up with your plastic surgeon
Be sure to ask your plastic surgeon specific questions about what you can expect during your individual recovery period:
- Where will I be taken after my surgery is complete?
- What medication will I be given or prescribed after surgery?
- Will I have dressings/bandages after surgery? When will they be removed?
- When can I bathe after surgery and how may I bathe?
- Are stitches removed? When?
- When will the drains be removed?
- When can I resume normal activity, driving and exercise?
- When do I return for follow-up care?
Buttock augmentation with fat grafting
You will be asked to avoid prolonged sitting for about two weeks (some surgeons prefer longer). This is very important because prolonged sitting will damage the fat.
You will also be encouraged to sleep face down or on your side. When you do have to sit, you will have to use a pillow or cushion placed behind the legs (hamstring muscles) to help raise the buttocks, avoiding pressure onto the fat grafts.
Your surgeon may encourage you to seek a lymphatic massage from a licensed massage therapist. You can generally resume exercise after six to eight weeks.
Buttock enhancement recovery at home
If you experience shortness of breath, chest pains or unusual heart beats, seek medical attention immediately. Should any of these complications occur, you may require hospitalization and additional treatment.