The American Society of Plastic Surgeons has developed a series of papers outlining the Society's position on recommended insurance coverage criteria for third-party payer coverage.
These papers are designed to assist third-party payers in addressing reimbursement issues for various "gray area" plastic surgery procedures, those that could be considered either cosmetic or reconstructive.
Published in 2015 These policy recommendations are based on the evidence based companion guideline for male breast reduction surgery.
Ear Deformity Surgery
Published in 2015 These policy recommendations are based on the evidence based companion guideline for ear derformity surgery.
Fat Grafting to the Breast
Posted in 2016 These policy recommendations are based on the companion guideline for Post-Mastectomy Fat Graft/Fat Transfer.
Archived Insurance Recommendations
Archived Insurance Reccomendations are not accessible to the public, but ASPS members may download and view the documents after entering their ASPS login credentials.
- Abdominal & Panniculectomy Unrelated to Obesity or Massive Weight Loss (2007)
- Blepharoplasty (2007)
- Surgical Treatment of Skin Redundancy for Obese & Massive Weight Loss Patients (2007)
- Nasal Surgery (2006)
- Ear Deformity: Prominent Ears (2005; reaffirmed 2015)
- Breast Reconstruction Following Diagnosis & Treatment for Breast Cancer (2004)
- Breast Reconstruction for Deformities Unrelated to Cancer Treatment (2004)
- Prophylactic Mastectomy (2003)
- Skin Lesions (2003)
- Gynecomastia (2002; reaffirmed 2015)