Active Membership Process
Residents / Fellows
Your name may be entered on the preliminary ballot after you complete your application and the following:
- Submit one letter of sponsorship from ASPS Active or Life Active Members within your local or geographic region (within 100 miles) and send it to the ASPS Executive Office. This letter is in addition to the first letter of sponsorship.
- Complete one year as a Candidate for Membership.
- Become certified by The American Board of Plastic Surgery® (ABPS®) or The Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons in Canada®. ASPS will receive confirmation directly from the ABPS. Candidates for Membership from Canada must submit certification documentation to ASPS.
Once you have satisfied the above requirements, your application will be reviewed by the Membership Committee. If approved, your name will be placed on the final ballot to be voted on by the ASPS Board of Directors. Election to Active Membership shall be by a majority vote of the Board at a meeting at which a quorum is present. All fees, dues or assessments must be paid before a Candidate for Membership is officially elevated to Active Membership status. Accreditation and CME compliance must be up to date.
Candidate for Membership
You will be elevated to a candidate for membership once you complete your application and the following:
- Obtain a letter of sponsorship from an Active or Life Active Member of ASPS or your Training Program Director (if your TPD is an Active Member).
- Send a copy of your letter from The American Board of Plastic Surgery® (ABPS®) or The Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada® stating Board admissibility if you are within seven years of satisfactorily completing your formal residency training. If over seven years of residency completion, submit the certificate from the certifying board.
All fees, dues or assessments must be paid before a Candidate for Membership is officially elevated to Active Membership status. Accreditation and CME compliance must be up to date.
Return all application materials (application, photo, sponsorship letters, application fee) to the ASPS Executive Offices:
American Society of Plastic Surgeons
444 East Algonquin Road
Arlington Heights, IL 60005-4664
If you have questions about ASPS Member benefits or the membership process please contact:
ASPS Member Services Center
847-228-9900 or 800-766-4955