September 2015 Working in close concert with leadership at the Louisiana Society of Plastic Surgeons, ASPS successfully rallied its partners in the Truth in Advertising Coalition to stop the Louisiana State Board of Medical Examiners (LSBME) from advancing a draft regulation that would have allowed substandard certifying bodies – most notably the American Board of Cosmetic Surgery (ABCS) – to be deemed equivalent to American Board of Medical Specialties (ABMS) certifying boards.
Latest Legislation & Advocacy News
Senate Urges Stage 3 Delay
- Senate HELP Committee Chairman, Lamar Alexander (R-Tenn.), has formally requested that CMS delay Stage 3 implementation and ease current Stage 2 rules.
Biosimilar Update: Senate Hearing With FDA & Legislation in California
- Both the federal and state governments have been actively concerned about the use, substitution and implementation of biosimilars. Read more about the Senate hearing with the FDA and state biosimilar legislation in California.
ASPS Stops Harmful Louisiana Board Equivalency Regulation
- Working in close concert with leadership at the Louisiana Society of Plastic Surgeons, ASPS successfully rallied its partners in the Truth in Advertising Coalition to stop the Louisiana State Board of Medical Examiners (LSBME) from advancing a draft regulation that would have allowed substandard certifying bodies – most notably the American Board of Cosmetic Surgery (ABCS) – to be deemed equivalent to American Board of Medical Specialties (ABMS) certifying boards.
Congress Passes Continuing Resolution to Avoid Government Shutdown
- Congress passed a continuing resolution to avoid a government shutdown, but must readdress the budget before mid-December.
Reconciliation Advanced by House Budget Committee
- The House approved a reconciliation bill that would partially repeal the Affordable Care Act.
Meaningful Use Final Rules Released
- CMS released final rules for Meaningful Use while ignoring Congressional pressure to delay the implementation of Stage 3.
Agreement in Principle Reached on Biologic Drug Patents
- The Trans-Pacific Partnership (TPP) reached a compromise that would grant five years of data patent protections for the makers of biologic drugs before other companies can start producing biosimilars.
Obama Signs First ACA Repeal Through Small Employer Legislation
- President Obama signed the first repeal of any ACA provision through the rollback of the small insurance markets rule, which was slated to go into effect in 2016.
House Works to Find Next Speaker
- As Majority Leader Kevin McCarthy unexpectedly dropped out of the race for speaker of the House, Republican leadership tries to find a new candidate who can unite the party.
ASPS and Louisiana Society of Plastic Surgeons testify on Board Certification
- Plastic surgery came out in full force to battle back against an ABCS request for equivalency
Massachusetts Considers TIA, Definition of Surgery and APN Independent Practice Bills
- ASPS had a strong presence at hearing of the Massachusetts Joint Committee on Public Health, where ASPS supported truth in advertising legislation and a definition of surgery bill, while opposing APNs independent practice.
Brady to Assume Ways and Means Chairmanship
- Rep. Kevin Brady (R-Texas) takes over as Chairman of the House Ways and Means Committee, replacing Speaker of the House Paul Ryan (R-Wis).
Congress Considers Repeal of the ACA through Reconciliation
- Republicans face numerous hurdles as they work to repeal parts of the Affordable Care Act through the budget process of reconciliation.
Number of Medical School Students Increases
- There are record numbers students enrolling in medical schools, but where will they train?
Price Increases for ASCs, But No Decrease in Hospital Outpatient Prices
- ASPS supports a legislative fix that addresses key study findings