Plastic Surgery Clinical Privileges
This resource has information on granting clinical privileges for plastic surgical services based on the realities of medical practice and education of the specialist.
As the American health care delivery system becomes more complex and the trend toward increased specialization advances, the lines that define various surgical specialties often blur. However, the training and skills of the various surgical specialists remain distinctly different. To ensure patient safety, promote quality of care and appropriately grant plastic surgery privileges, it is important to appreciate these training differences. As in all specialties, appropriate training, proficiency and experience are attributes that plastic surgeons must possess. This booklet has been prepared by the American Society of Plastic Surgeons™ (ASPS™) as a reference to help one understand the training and potential roles of a plastic surgeon. The material included in the booklet is intended to:
- Describe the scope of plastic surgery;
- Explain the significance of Board Certification;
- Provide an overview of plastic surgery training models;
- Illustrate the unique qualifications of Board Certified plastic surgeons;
- Describe procedures commonly performed by Board Certified Plastic Surgeons;
- Provide a platform upon which to base plastic surgery privileges.