ASPS adheres to a formal membership process that requires an application, letters of sponsorship, board certification, adherence to ethical standards, commitment to continuing education and more. International applicants must provide acknowledgment that they are members of their national society.
Once an application is received, the information is fully reviewed and vetted. Sponsor letters are reviewed and checked, and board certification is verified. Where applicable, national society letters are reviewed and verified. Applicants are placed on a preliminary ballot for review by members of ASPS, and any concerns raised on an individual applicant are investigated by the Membership Committee. The preliminary ballot is then sent to the ASPS Board of Directors for voting into membership.
Below is an overview of the membership process.
ASPS Membership Process
- Application materials are vetted
- Applicant's name is placed on the preliminary ballot
- ASPS members may review the list of applicants and submit concerns on applicants. All concerns are investigated by the Membership Committee.
- The final ballot is submitted to the ASPS Board of Directors for approval.
- The applicants on the final ballot are voted into membership. Applicants are notified via email and postal mail of their acceptance to ASPS.
voted into Membership
|Applicant Materials Due|
The new ASPS dashboard is personalized to each applicant and member. Applicants may check on their status, as well as identify the materials that are still needed to complete their application, by viewing their ASPS dashboard or by contacting ASPS Member Services.
All applicants for active membership (United States and Canada) must serve as a candidate for a minimum of one year.